Preparing for a Short-Distance Move: When and How to Start
A client’s preparation for a move is one of the most important factors that can affect the speed and as a result the cost of local moving. Here is a planning advice from professional movers how to prepare for local moving in Los Angeles County:
- Plan ahead. Start your preparations for your move a few weeks before the date. Make a list of tasks, break them down into steps, and follow the plan.
- Declutter. Preparing for a move, go through your things and determine what you really need. Sell, donate, or throw away anything you don’t need.
- Get packing materials preparing to move. Buy enough boxes of different sizes (at least 3 boxes per room), bubble wrap, tape and packing paper for dishes (one pack of each will definitely be enough). High-quality packaging will ensure the safety of your belongings during the move.
- Label and organize your boxes before to move. Label each box with the contents and the room it’s destined for. This will make unpacking process much easier.
- Pack valuables separately. Valuable items, medications, documents, and jewelry should be packed separately and either taken with you or stored in a safe place.
- Protect fragile items. Fragile items should be packed with old clothes or towels for move. You can also create a “safety zone” in the box using bubble wrap.
- Pack the dishes. Packing dishes has a significant impact on the duration of the move if it will be done by moving company, and clients can reduce the time and cost on moving by packing dishes on their self.
- Use a numbering system. Give each box a unique number and create a list of the contents of each box. This will help you to prep for a move and keep track of your belongings and make sure nothing gets lost.
- Pack an essentials box. Pack a separate box with the things you will need immediately when your move will over, such as beddings, towels, and clothes.
- Make your dressers and shelves empty. All the furniture should be emptied on moving. Dressers, nightstands, shelves, chests, and cabinets filled with items have high risk of furniture and items damage, difficult to move, and unsafe for movers.
- Disassemble beds. It will help to reduce the moving company service duration and decrease your total moving cost.
Preparing to Move: Key Factors in Selecting a Moving Company
Another important part how to prepare for a move is to find reliable moving company. Professional local movers in Los Angeles advise to pay attention to the following aspects:
- Compare prices and reputation: Read online reviews and compare the hourly rates on our website to find a moving company which will be the best fit for you. Prices between moving companies can vary significantly. For example, 2 movers can cost from $115 to $160 per hour.
- License: Make sure the company is licensed to operate in California. All the companies published on this website have necessary permits.
- Mover insurance and cargo safety guarantee: A moving company should provide insurance to protect your belongings from damage during the move. This is an important aspect to consider, as it gives you peace of mind knowing that your belongings are insured. It should be noted, that most local moving companies in Los Angeles County use Released Value Protection option. It is free for client, but movers are responsible for no more than 60 cents per pound per article.
- Flexible schedule and transparent pricing policy: A moving company should be flexible with their schedule and pricing. This will allow you to find a time and price that works best for you. Some companies, like Trek Movers or Happy Home Moving, with large own fleet of trucks are available for orders at almost any time and date throughout a year.
- Additional services: It is important for the company to provide additional services upon request, such as disassembling and assembling furniture, packing fragile items, etc.
- Professional estimates: A company that does a detailed market evaluation and asks relevant questions, can give you a more honest and upfront estimate. There are companies, for example SQ Moving, that are ready to offer customers a free in person estimate, in case of any difficulties in evaluation by phone.
Moving Prep and Steps: Essential Additions to Focus on When Moving
The moving crew will be more prepared for a move if you provide them additional details of your moving conditions such as:
- Type of building and available hours of operations. For example, if you are moving out or moving into storage, office or apartment building it can be regulated by hours of operation.
- Difficulty of access. For example, if there is no elevator and the movers have to carry bulky items up and down stairs, they may also need to use additional equipment, such as a winch or several four wheels dollies.
- Additional services. Ordering additional services, such as disassembling and assembling furniture, packaging with special materials, or dismantling and installing equipment, can be required specific tools.
- Special items: This includes items such as safes, pianos, aquariums, and other specialized items that require special handling and equipment. Also, if you are planning to transport plants, as well as weapons, liquids, gas, and dangerous items – you should discuss it with the moving company in advance.
All this information will help the moving company to understand how to prepare for your moving request and provide the best service for you.
Don’t forget to find and prepare a parking spot for the moving truck. Also, some of Los Angeles County areas such as Santa Monica, West Hollywood and many others have requirements to get a parking permit.
The final part of your moving prep is to set up utilities at your new address and cancel all at the old. Don’t forget to contact your new post office to change your mailing address and inform all delivery services.